Sunday, February 11, 2007

The one where I went to Hong Kong

Hong Kong - 28th Jan 2007 to 4th Feb 2007.

Forgive me if I got some of the name wrong as I'm basically writing from I remembered in my head. But I've decided. I love Hong Kong. The shopping (Shops selling branded and designer goods aplenty!), the places we visited, the food (the Dim Sum and the desserts were awesome!) and especially the weather. Hong Kong was hit by cold snap the first nite we were there but temperature range from 18 to 22 Deg C throughout our stay. There was no rain and the weather certainly made our stay there much more memorable.

Hong Kong remind me of a lot of London or Manchester. Which makes sense I guess as they are a former British colony. They have duble-decker red buses, the buildings are quite compact, the similar looking road signs, the eer cheesy British adult magazine and the weather, mercilessly windy and cold.

Our hotel was in Causeway Bay which turned out to be the most ideal place to stay in during our 1 week visit to Hong Kong. The Peak is nearby as are the HK Convention and Exhibition Centre. I love some of the little shops (especially around Sogo) and the market (selling cheap souvenir t-shirts). Lots of fresh flowers on sale too and the oranges we bought was gratefuly juicy and sweet.

Across the bay in Kowloon, we shopped in Harbour City and Ocean Terminal. My most notable purchase would be New Balance triathlon short (Ocean Terminal), New Balance running shoe M1222 (Times Square), Adidas pants and running T (Giga Sports), Hi-Tec Trail Running Shoe (OT). A nice haul of sporting goods! The prices were not exactly cheap but I like the variety of mechandise the shops keep and they carry bigger sizes for the shoes.

Exchange rate approx BND 1 = HKD 4.92
Taxi from the Airport to Hong Kong Island - Not more than HKD400
Train to the city - HKD90 / HKD100
Taxi generally expensive.
If you plan to use the bus or train to travel around, get the Octopus Card. HKD150 which include HKD50 deposit. You can also use the card at McD, 7-11 shops or certain supermarket. Quite handy!
Halal food - Some around Causeway Bay. In Kowloon, head to ChungKing Mansion along Nathan Road. I bought Nasi Beriyani from one of the shops there for HKD15.

No comments: